Tuesday, January 03, 2006

A no show

I'll admit that the only movie on Holly's list that I've seen is Brokeback Mountain. It got a little better towards the end, but I found it dull. Then again, I've seen enough Fassbinder movies--like Fox and His Friends (1975)--to know what a good movie with gay people is like. But I suppose you could say Brokeback is a good soap opera if you haven't seen Same Time, Next Year (1978) before.

The only new movie I saw in 2005 that impressed me was Howl's Moving Castle. It's the best animated and the best children's film of the last 25 years at least. But the best movie I saw all year was certainly Pier Paolo Pasolini's The Hawks and the Sparrows (1966). Who knew a clown, a non-actor and a talking crow would make such a classic?

2 Comments:

Blogger holly go-heavily said...

Hey y'all -- this is Holly, from out in California. I'm takin' care of biznezz. On the flight over, I saw a film I must add to the previous list: _Must Love Dogs_, with Diane Lane and John Cusack. Wonderful film. There has been no better expose on the insidious nature of online dating as a rebound from a painful divorce. Totally innovative, brilliant stuff.

January 05, 2006 2:01 PM  
Blogger The Paper Cat said...

Correction, Howl's Moving Castle is the best children's movie since The Princess Bride (1987).

January 10, 2006 8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home