Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Genius of Love

Genius? Pompous buffoon? One and the same? Cat, "allow me to retort" (Pulp Fiction reference).

To serve my point, here is some dialogue from the 6th greatest film of all time, Hal Hartley's Trust (1990):

DAD: Where's Matthew?
BRUCE: He doesn't work here anymore.
DAD: What?
BRUCE: He got fired.
DAD: You mean he quit.
BRUCE: No, I mean he got fired.
DAD: Bullshit. Nobody in their right mind would fire Matthew. He can fix anything.
BRUCE: Look, I'm telling you. He got fired. He scared the customers.
DAD: Well, what the hell do the customers know? Matthew's a genius.
BRUCE; Well, we don't need a genius. We need somebody who can fix TVs.

James Joyce wrote 3 1/2 of the greatest books published in any language ever spoken (or written, for that matter): Dubliners (1914), A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (1916), Ulysses (1922) and whatever you want to call it, Finnegans Wake (1939). But he also said, "I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring one's immortality." What a pompous buffoon [insert appropriate emoticon here]! For the record, Samuel Beckett, another "genius" who couldn't fix televisions, once wrote, "Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattman of a personal God quaquaquaqua with white beard quaquaquaqua outside time without extension who from the heights of divine apathia divine athambia divine aphasia loves us dearly." Lucky (Beckett's stunt double) here proves that ... well, I don't know what he proves. I just like the passage, quaquaquaqua.

In other news, Ann Coulter wants to be my friend and agreed to a date with me (thank you, sweet wrathful Hova; thank you myspace)! I hope Paper Cat will film us, then send the footage to Steven Soderbergh so he can start making good films again ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home