Sunday, March 06, 2005

Rave On

First off, let me say that I have nothing but love for Screamin' Jay Hawkins. I love the line in that one movie where the girl is walking down the street with a tape player listening to "I Put a Spell On You", and she says, in a thick Hungarian accent, "It's Screamin' Jay Hawkins, and he's a wild man, so bug off."

Second of all, you should probably never stop by my summer home in Maine. The Mark Rothko poster on the wall might just turn you into a cryin' little baby. But you won't get any sympathy. I like Rothko paintings, "they are about nothing...with precision" (filmmaker Michelangelo Antonioni to Mark Rothko, 1962). Plus, they reflect pure relativity. It's blue in relation to white and yellow. As an added bonus, I acquired mine "free of charge" during a corporate buyout back in 1997.

I am a little shocked that you don't watch "America's Next Top Model". Next you're going to tell me you don't watch "The O.C."!

I guess your disinterest in television isn't really important. Do you have any favorite magazines Holly? A friend of mine once said, "Vanity Fair comes closest to being a 'society of letters.'" Personally, I'm not interesting in reading somebody's mail. I guess the only magazines I regularly read are The Wire: Adventures In High Seriousness, Arthur Magazine and Tape Op Magazine. I think my subscription to Mad expired at least a decade ago.

2 Comments:

Blogger holly go-heavily said...

Stranger than Paradise. A classic. Did you see Coffee and Cigarettes? My friend Meg White is in it :-)

March 07, 2005 9:27 AM  
Blogger The Paper Cat said...

The day I meant to see "Coffee and Cigarettes" it was raining, and I was reluctant to walk in it.

Oh Meg! I went and graduated college just before my former radio station had the White Stripes play our annual music festival. I could have met her. (imagine swoon here).

March 08, 2005 10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home