Thursday, July 14, 2005

...And My Name is Larry

Holly here. Speaking of Cancer, or, more appropriately, Can-saw, those of you unfamiliar with classic 1970s soul must treat yourself to the song "Float On" by the Floaters (1977).


For those unfamiliar with the track, here is the formula:
1) Each individual member of the group states his astrological sign
2) Each individual member of the group states his name
3) Each individual member of the group states what he likes in a woman
4) Each individual sings the following lines: "Take my hand / Come with me baby to Love Land / Let me show you how sweet it could be / Sharing love with me / I want you to ... "
5) Every member harmonizes together, singing, "Float / Float On /Float On / Float On / Float / Float Float / Float On" with various ad-libs thrown in to spice things up even more.
[Note: For those of you out there who know me personally, it was very hard to type #5, if you know what I mean ...]

Ralph is an Aquarius. Charles is a Libra who likes quiet gals. Paul is a Leo. My favorite, though, is Larry, who is a Cancer, who likes everybody. He also breaks the rules on #4, telling his lady, "Let me show you how it sweet it could be / Sharing your love with Larry." The balls on this guy! While the single version comes in just a hair over four minutes long, closing with vaguely orgasmic sounds from one of the Floaters, the LP version (the album is pictured above) is an excruciatingly blissful 11 minutes in length. That's at least seven inches of groovespace!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home