Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Re-make/Re-model

Holly, I couldn't agree more about Closer. If I wanted to watch a play, I wouldn't normally go to a movie theater. I can't say that I understood a movie based entirely on jumping to every argument that a group a people have over a 5 year period is really enlightening. I mean, if I wanted that I would watch a Quantum Leap marathon on cable (assuming I got cable first, and a TV, and electricity), or may I would hustle on over to a friend's house and watch Fox's teen drama remake Tru Calling. But although you are correct that Natalie Portman lacks the menace factor or Kevin Spacey's Keyser Soze character in The Usual Suspects, I think she is plus 1043% on the hotness factor. Personally, I wouldn't make many comparisons to The Usual Suspects because it's a movie with about as much substance as the waistline of an America's Next Top Model contestant. Someone once argued to me that "Keyser Soze" means "truth" in some language, as so the movie supposedly means there is no truth. Well, it's the disneyland version of nothing is true--everything is permitted.

There were simply better movies than Closer in 2004. Dogville for one. It's kind of like a remake of High Noon (1952) with a David Bowie song played at the end. But I think they had to really skip on the budget for sets and special effects to pay for all the big name stars in that one.

On an unrelated note, I'm a fan of John Frusciante now. This guy was and currently is in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and I still like his albums. The Will to Death, Curtains, and his contributions to The Brown Bunny: Motion Picture Soundtrack hit on something I can relate to, and that, of course, is unending self-absorption and delusional loneliness! Oh, yes, introverted romanticism too.

[This blog entry lovingly dedicated to Gummo Marx, whose birthday was not on this date]

2 Comments:

Blogger holly go-heavily said...

Fed up with Fandango?
Do the Strand-ski.

April 20, 2005 4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Natalie Portman is hot? How cliche. Pretty soon you'll be touting the attributes of Josh Hartnett.

April 21, 2005 8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home